Thursday, May 17, 2007

On Knowing Each Other

Overheard at dinner last night:
"So what is your wife's degree on?"
"I don't know about her undergrad, but she has a master in linguistic."

The wife in question was not obviously there. I advised my friend that he was threading dangerous waters. Not knowing what her undergrad is is pretty dangerous. That is the kind of thing that, at the beginning of dating, you're supposed to pay attention to. Because it's not okay, two or three years after you have met each other, asking "so, what did you graduate in?" It doesn't fly!! We told him we were going to make sure someone else asks her when he's not around, or he should go back to his in-laws and figure it out.

Now I have to wonder whether my husband knows what my undergrad is in. And then again, I'm an engineer- if you have been around me, you know it's pretty hard to forget that!! :D

2 comments:

Nate said...

Hello - as the person who was overheard saying this at dinner, I have to agree: it's important to pay attention and care enough to know your partner's educational (and other) details.

One point of disagreement, however, is in how you'd find this information. You suggested a friend could find out or you could call the in-laws. I simply asked my wife! Admittedly, this could be dangerous ground in some cases, but we have a very friendly and relaxed relationship. She simply responded and asked why I wanted to know! Anya has a BA in English Lit, if you must know. :)

Bridging Jones said...

PERFECTLY agreed with! But then again, you married a saint!! (Hi both of you, I can't believe you're moving SO far away, we'll come visit soon and make sure to keep in touch!! And, also, she's the best wife anyone could ever wish for!)
However, not everyone can get away with that question without being chewed on- including my own husband. So, although it's not a good idea for Nate because he, bless his heart, has a wonderful wife, if my husband should ever forget what my degree is in please don't let him ask me... ;)