Thursday, September 20, 2007

On Sleeping and Other Related Damages

My husband and I have been spending a lot of time apart recently- mostly because he's been traveling a lot. Now, whomever leaves the communal bed cannot complain about what happens when the other is gone- and what I mean with it is reverting to pretty basic single-sleeping habits.

I love my single sleeping habits- mainly what in Italian is called "Dormire a 4 di bastoni", sleeping like the four of clubs. If you have ever seen Italian playing cards, you know exactly what I am talking about. If you haven't- well, here's the image that explains it all. I get to sleep withe each appendix pointed toward a different corner of the bed- and it's FANTASTIC!

I love being married and all, but the feeling of having a whole bed for yourself- man, that's the one thing I miss the most about being single! (How pathetic this statement can be is the subject of a whole new discussion!)

In any case, once he comes back it's always a bit hard to readjust- especially if I manage to get to bed before he does. So, there I am completely spread over the bed, and he's struggling to make it back in- with not much success of moving me, walking me up, or any of the easy outs you can come up with.

So, the other night it was reversi. He managed to get to bed before me, fall asleep completely on my side of the bed, and managed to stick an elbow out in defensive posture. So, I get to bed and I have to slide in, barely fitting in the small sliver of bed between the elbow and the bed edge. And once I get in, the elbow is securely fastened to my central vertebrae. And not only he does not move by gentle poking and rolling, he also refuses to give up the elbow, no matter how much I push him away. And he snores. In my ear, because I can't move.

The biggest payback of all times...

No comments: