Monday, April 2, 2007

On Talking About Marriage

I was talking to a friend today, and she asked me what are the three things about marriage that people don’t really tell you. I came up with almost three:

  • Getting married is not the “end”, it’s the BEGINNING. The “end of dating” doesn’t really hold: it’s the beginning of a journey that will keep you busy for the rest of your life. And you should not stop dating your husband either. As my friend smartly put it, “Keep on waxing!”
  • Marriage it’s a lot of work. It’s about learning, and making it work, and deciding which battles to fight, and where to compromise- every day!
  • It’s not true when they say that, if you’ve been living together, marriage doesn’t change a thing. Your level of commitment changes drastically, as you don’t have the security blanket of being able to walk out at any point. (This is by far my weak spot!)

…not like I would walk out, husband, don’t worry…

No comments: