Sunday, March 11, 2007

On Being Married

I don’t even know where to start with this, because although I know this is going to be a fun ride, I also suspect that I could end up being the Heather of matrimony: Blogging cost Heather her job, this might cost me my marriage. However, I truly, truly, enjoy being married, and not just being married in general but being married to my specific fantastic husband. Hence, a good place where to start is with a disclaimer which contains the top ten reasons (there are many, many more!) why I really want to stay married, and in particular, stay married to you:

  1. You are wonderful, smart, funny, talented, serious, dedicated, good looking and incredibly, fantastically, hyperbolically in love with me- and me with you. That helps.
  2. You listen to me. Even when I don’t make much sense, you actually listen to what I have to say, and in addition, you actually take my advice. I find it all incredible and I love you more for that.
  3. You are patient. Patience with me is of capital importance, since I do know I can drive you insane from time to time…
  4. You are just as silly as me, which makes for wonderful endless silly conversations that usually leave me giggling like a two-year old.
  5. You complement me. In many, many ways you complement me and balance me every day.
  6. You get my sense of humor. I seriously was starting to believe I didn’t have one anymore.
  7. You are serious, and that is wonderful since I need to counterbalance my craziness here and there.
  8. You believe in me, every day, throughout the process, you always, continuously believe in what I have to offer, in my talent, and in my potential.
  9. You are intense in the things you do, you don’t come to compromises, you are determined and focused and nothing can get you off track.
  10. I know that if I stick around long enough I will be married to a CEO, which is kinda cool.

Other various reasons why I like to be married to you:

  • You do the dishes and take out the garbage and help with the house day-to-day maintenance (even if we’d like to take this one for granted, ladies, we better never do so- our fathers are still looming over our domestic happiness!).
  • I really, really, really like to mess up with your self-created conception of the World At Large.
  • You pay the bills on time and I don’t have to worry or remind you a thousand times.
  • You are taking me places (both physical and non).
  • You make really funny Kermit the Frog faces when I say things that really take you by surprise.
  • You fix things when you don’t have any other choice.
  • You let me be myself, and you don’t try to constrain me to who you think I should be.
  • I am always in love with you.

I already know our first argument will come shortly after posting this, but meanwhile I would like to think I can enjoy talking about being 30 something and married, and all the things that go with it…

No comments: