Monday, March 12, 2007

On Marrying a Smart Husband

I think a lot of people overlook the importance of the qualities of the man you actually marry. In the end, there would not be that many divorces if everyone was REALLY careful in the choice process, right? You think that looks are important, money maybe, sex drive, affinity, compatibility, maybe the fact you got pregnant before assessing any of the above… I don't necessarily disagree, but the one quality that surpasses all others and you really want to make sure your husband complies with is INTELLIGENCE. Marrying a smart man is one of the most intelligent things I have done myself.

Let me give you an example…

Say that you might be stranded in a country that is not your own, for over 9 months (and counting), and your favorite thing in the world EVER is to travel. Let’s also assume that the reason why you are stranded in said country is your marital status, and the fact you decided to get married no matter whether the visa issue would have gotten completely unbearable. Let’s also say that you can solely blame your husband for your miserable status of stranded non-immigrant resident. Now, imagine said husband decides to spend what coincides with your school Spring break in Italy, with his family. And as a consequence, since you cannot leave the country, you would end up being home, alone, stranded, not in school, and pretty much fuming.

This is where the smart husband really shines in all his intelligence. He did the math before I even got to the point that he was going to be gone while I was on a break, and started saying “Isn’t any of your friends going on a trip? Why don’t you look for someone to take a trip with?” I wasn’t too convinced, but he was insisting “Really, if she cannot afford it I will buy the ticket for one of your friends to go with you on a Spring break vacation!” This is when I started being suspicious- what was this Spring break thing all about? And then I (finally!) looked at the calendar, and realized I had married the smartest man in the world. And a lucky one, too, because in fact I DID find a friend to travel with! My classmate is also married and her husband was going to work throughout our break- perfect conditions! So, we are heading out on March 22nd for Big Island in Hawaii, and spending a week of sun, beach, and general married-without-husbands debauchery!

He is the best husband in the world. Being smart is serving him well in the matrimonial set!

No comments: